Rey Mindu - HomestaysRay is located 21 Km away from Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim. It is nestled between the world renowned monasteries, namely, Rumtek Monastery and Lingdum Monastery and amidst a diverse flora and fauna. The village is nestled below the Fhambong Lho Wildlife Sanctuary.
The dominant community living in the area is Lepcha and only handful of Nepalese live in harmony. Most of the people are Buddhist by religion and they observe various Buddhist and Lepcha festivals. It also has a handicraft centre which displays various Sikkimesse traditional items. Rey Mindu village is famous for its traditional food.
- Peak Farming activity & lush green fields during monsoons (June - August)
- Festival Season (October - December)
- Pleasant Spring weather (February - April)
- Tendong-Lha-Rum-Faat festival (8th August)
Rey Mindu Day Program - Experiencing Lepcha Hospitality
Lepcha customary welcoming with traditional snacks, tea and
blessings from the village Bonthing (Lepcha Priest). Guided
nature walk through the village beginning at the Rey
Monastery, along a forest trail rich in biodiversity, though
terraced fields and halting to examine more than a century
old traditional Lepcha house.
Taste of the exotic and sumptuous Lepcha cuisine with a "zero carbon miles" lunch specially prepared from locally grown reared organic produce or collected from the nearby forest & streams.
Afternoon relaxation with traditional milet brew or tea, enjoying a cultural program of euphonious Lepcha songs, music and dances performed live using traditional musical instruments by the village folk.
Rey-Mindu Village HomestaysExperience the true warmth of Lepcha hospitality by staying as a guest with one of the village families. The rooms are simple and comfortable and the toilets are clean & functional. There is a wholesome of organic food from teh family kitchen and a chance to observe & perhaps share in the daily chores of the family members. Wath the seasonal farming activities or go for an invigorating nature walk.
Evenings enjoy a specially organized cultural program of Leptcha songs and dances while sipping the local millet brew. Enjoy a tette-a-tette with the village shaman or elder and listen to fascinating folk tales and local history. Above all come prepared refreshing bit of peace & relaxation.
Available on Request:
- Special nature or birding walks/treks. For those interested, Rey-Mindu has a plethora of birdlife to offer ranging from tiny fire-breasted flowerpeckers and white-browed piculets to gigantic hovering raptors.
- Trekking expeditions to the Fhambonglha Wildlife Sanctuary
- Interpretation of Lepcha culture history, fables and folk tales with the Bonthing and village elders
- Excursions to nearby Lingdum Monastery, Rumtek Monastery and Ban Jhankri Falls